Aussie health girl Mona Hecke running for Gold Coast Mayor – myGC.com.au
“The Gold Coast needs a health check” claims Mona Hecke, as she throws her hat in the ring to be the Gold Coast’s next Mayor.
The 54-year-old naturopath has officially announced her 2020 Mayoral Campaign, running as an independent candidate against current Mayor Tom Tate.
She believes the community is crying out for a change, and that her beloved Gold Coast is ready for a new era of leadership.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“I want to drive the change we need to thrive.
“We know that healthy, liveable cities have healthier, happier communities and it’s clear to me that the Gold Coast needs a health check,” she says.
Ms Hecke, a born and bred Gold Coaster, who attended Broadbeach Primary and Miami High, says she has a long-held dream of representing her local community.
“I want change for good. I want to enable the best opportunities for the growth of our people and our city,” she says.
Despite previous unsuccessful touts at council and state government roles, she’s confident that she has the community backing to topple Tom Tate next year.
“People are looking for someone who’s more community minded, someone who can inspire the community, and to create a shared vision for the future of the Gold Coast that we all want to live in,” she says.
Ms Hecke will spend the next six month listening to the community and fine tuning her six core goals, which currently include:
- City design and liveability – strike the right balance to protect what we love about our city and promote development that will enhance it.
- Traffic and car parking solutions – ease traffic congestion and improve the ways we move around the city.
- Budget health check – focus on core responsibilities, collaborate with State Government, neighbouring councils and business, listen to the people and keep rates down.
- Better working opportunities – diversify our economy and generate new employment opportunities by supporting and investing in sustainable industries and development.
- Great outdoors – protect our natural assets and enhance our streets, parks, beaches and rivers.
- Everybody matters – foster the things that bring us together, keep us safe, healthy and happy.
For more information about Mona Hecke’s campaign, click here.