The introduction of the e-zwich payment system by the National Service Scheme (NSS) has resulted in the detection of over 2,000 ineligible names on the national service roll.
The Director in charge of Public Relations at the NSS headquarters, Mr Ambrose Entsiwah Jnr, who made this known to the Daily Graphic, said “measures had been put in place to ensure that ineligible persons did not infiltrate the system, but some of the victims had genuine concerns that have been rectified. Some were victims of double e-zwich numbers, improper arrangement of their names and failure to return the monthly duty form ahead of payment dates,” he explained.
He said the NSS would present a list of students posted from teacher-training universities to the Ghana Education Service (GES) for validation before they were engaged to do national service.
“We have also directed that all persons who are out of school for some years but who want to do national service should come to the national headquarters of NSS with an application letter, certificates or transcript from a recognised institution, student identity card and confirmation letter from the school. We want to ensure that the right people are engaged by the scheme,” he said.
The NSS issued a release on November 24, 2015, which required all prospective service persons to present valid national identification numbers, Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) numbers, as well as e-zwich account numbers before they register for the 2016/17 service season.
Mr Entsiwah explained that the decision was to encourage students to register with SSNIT and discourage ineligible persons who would attempt to get into the system.
He said the scheme had detected that some syndicates were using foul means to get unqualified people onto the scheme, a situation that had resulted in loss of money to the state.
He assured the public that “when the registration exercise starts, the NSS will be in a position to deal with all challenges that will emerge.”